Skip to main content

Movie Review: The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

This latest look at Marvel's wisecracking, web slinging, photo snapping science geek has been deemed unnecessary by some. I disagree. Spidey's story brims with potential, and another interpretation is welcome. I point you to 2009's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which was remade in 2011. Both versions were enjoyable. To me, Spider-man is the same.

The Amazing Spider-Man benefits from an updated story and strong performances by its leads. Andrew Garfield and his huge grin work well as teenage Peter Parker (in real life, he's 28). Emma Stone plays Gwen Stacey, his equally brainy love interest. Martin Sheen is great as Uncle Ben, the reason for Spider-man's heroism. Sally Field mostly mopes around as Aunt May, but she shows spark when required. Rhys Ifans is sympathetic despite needing more screen time, and Denis Leary is hilarious as Gwen Stacey's police captain dad.

This time around, the story centers on the mystery of Peter's parents, who leave him in the care of his aunt and uncle when he's young. One day, Peter finds his dad's old briefcase and notes (dun dun dunnnn!). He also finds a photo of his dad with some dude, who happens to work at the nearby giant research corporation, where Peter's love interest happens to intern. Plot advancement ensues, involving genes and regeneration and a Serum of Doom, whose warning label goes like this:
Use of this product may turn you into a giant muscular lizard. Please see your closest SWAT team if you experience heightened aggression, voices in your head, difficulty using the bathroom, and a tail that lasts for more than four hours.
The drawbacks of this movie include the predictable music and the glaringly inserted just-for-3D scenes. Geez. I saw it normal mode. It was perfectly fine. If you're going to see this movie, save your money and watch it in digital. Or you could save yourself a trip and wait for it on cable. Your life will remain unchanged. I realize that's not the most glowing recommendation given how I started this post, but this one is really up to you. If your geek/boredom levels are high, watch it. Otherwise, since we were on the topic of, er, enhancements, you can read about the caterpillar fungus that's apparently China's latest aphrodisiac.

Happy Monday!

Popular posts from this blog

An International Women's Day Miracle!

Truly, International Women's Day is a special day. No, not because multitudes are out there rallying for our rights and giving voice to the powerless. It is because I won a gift card from a company raffle!


Let me explain why this counts as a minor miracle. You see, I never win anything. I answer every damned survey sent my way, participate in all the raffles, buy lottery tickets -- to no avail. This particular raffle occurred monthly, and I had been faithfully entering my name every month for two years, with no results. Finally, last month, I declared: "No more!" and unsubscribed from the mailing list -- but not before entering one final time, because why not.

Hah!

There's also some déjà vu at play here. You see, four years ago, I won a gift card from a company raffle. The one fracking time I won anything! I was elated! Shortly thereafter, also on International Women's Day, I was laid off from my job.

Sooooo...since the day's almost over, I guess I'm not…

Paint Nite!

Last night I joined the "Oops" Paint Nite event hosted by the Club Cafe in Back Bay. About 12+ people came to relax and have two artists guide them through painting this original work:


The point was not to slavishly duplicate "Oops" -- we were instructed to make it our own, to relax, and not to utter the words, "Mine sucks," "Can you do this for me?" or "I thought this was paint-by-numbers!"

Speaking of dashed hopes, I had assumed that wine was included. I had done something like this before, only it was in the morning and we all got mimosas. Not so here! While the artists were setting up, I schlepped over to the bar and was rewarded with a generous pour of Cabernet. Now I was ready.

The setup: Everyone got a 16" x 20" canvas, three paint brushes, and a palette (a paper plate) with red, yellow, blue, and white paint. One artist (Brian) had the microphone and would paint with us, while the other was the assistant (Kory) who wo…

Get Out (2017)

Get Out has a charismatic lead, a terrific soundtrack, and damn good cinematography. While it’s described as horror/comedy, it’s more disturbing/cringe-y than scary, and I mean that in a good way. This is an entertaining movie that’s also pretty effective as social commentary.

The film stars Daniel Kaluuya as Chris, a photographer who’s about to spend the weekend at his girlfriend Rose’s (Allison Williams) parent’s house. Naturally, it’s in a secluded spot in the woods. When they get there, the awkwardness that might be expected from a first-time meeting gives way to a series of bizarre behaviors and interactions. While Chris initially takes it all in stride, it eventually becomes clear that there’s something sinister going on behind the scenes.

The acting and dialogue are highlights of the film, as is the camera work. In particular, Kaluuya’s eyebrows and head tilts are so expressive that the audience knows what’s going on in his head even as he politely brushes off eccentricities. A…