Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fun with Acronyms

I may not have mentioned that although I despised my old boss and his assistant, I adored my old coworkers. One in particular was almost at my level of Witty and Clever (just a few more years, my child!). There were times when we would exchange droll witticisms for thirty minutes straight, or throughout the day, to distract ourselves from the crushing reality that we worked at BOOBS.

Happily, my fellow denizens in cubicle land show signs of similar awesomeness. And by awesomeness, I mean their cackling appreciation of my random brain farts. They're especially tickled by my dubbing our department, acronym PSG, as the Popular & Sexy Group. (Actual name: Public Strategy Group) Now I'm inspired to come up with pretend names for the other groups, like Gentle Lovers for GL (General Ledger).

Speaking of acronyms, I have a nine-page guide to essential acronyms. Nine. Pages. Of acronyms. Specialized jargon is apparently one of the pillars of this industry. Good thing Mama is a nurse, so some of this stuff sounds halfway familiar, like EKG, ENT, PKU, GERD, and OMG. Just kidding on that last one.

One day I will figure out how to have an entire conversation entirely in acronyms, or failing that, in interwebz speak, which comes pretty close. And when that day comes, the English language shall achieve another glorious pinnacle of evolution. Or the exact opposite. watevs u kno wat i mn?

No comments:

Post a Comment