Skip to main content

Movie Review: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 retains the same hilarious irreverence and absurdity as the first film, but it also has deeper and darker moments that add layers to the characters. Highlights include Baby Groot (Vin Diesel), more murder, more name-calling, and betrayals! Ah, family!

Just like its predecessor, Vol. 2 has a perfect opening sequence: a formidable battle is mere background to Baby Groot dancing adorably. Then the adventure truly begins, as the team splits up after facing off against the golden-skinned Sovereign, led by the haughty Ayesha (Elizabeth Debicki, the awesome femme fatale from The Man from U.N.C.L.E.).

Star-Lord (Chris Pratt), Gamora (Zoe Saldana), and Drax (Dave Bautista) join Star-Lord's father Ego (Kurt Russel) and his servant Mantis (Pom Klementieff) to find out more about Star-Lord's heritage. Meanwhile, Baby Groot, Rocket (Bradley Cooper), and a captive Nebula (Karen Gillan) find themselves under assault by the Ravager faction led by Yondu (Michael Rooker). The story takes a number of twists after that, culminating in an epic battle against an entire planet.

Fortunately, by that time, the personal journeys taken by each of the characters have further strengthened the bond between them. Gamora and Nebula start to become true sisters instead of the weapons Thanos made them into. Thanks to Yondu, Rocket finally realizes why he's such an a-hole. And Drax is so damn happy. His frequent bellowing laughter reveals a side to him unseen in the first movie, when he was bent on revenge: he's a lusty, passionate person who has zero sensitivity. His interactions with Mantis are highly entertaining.

Zany humor balances out the gravity of some of the scenes, usually in the form of snarky dialogue, like Nebula snapping "Get over it!" when Gamora is speechless at being saved, or Ego's, "I thought my rugged good looks would make it obvious" that he's Star-Lord's paternal organism. In particular, the many insults used to describe Rocket had viewers snickering: "triangle-faced dog," "pet puppy," and my personal favorite, "trash panda." There's a running gag with yams that ends predictably yet satisfyingly. This time around, David Hasselhoff replaces Kevin Bacon as the imaginary Earth hero (so does Mary Poppins). And basically anything Baby Groot does is comedy gold.

Naturally, the effects are stunning, the fight scenes are fire, and the soundtrack is nostalgic while being thematically relevant. (I preferred the songs on Vol. 1, but YMMV.) In terms of visuals, I was a fan of Gamora shouldering a torn-off space gun while screaming bloody murder, and Yondu and his arrow are equally badass. Watching this movie in 3D is worth it!

Overall, Vol. 2 effectively tells its story while setting up the team's next villain (Adam Warlock) and dropping hints about the coming Infinity War. Looking forward to all of it!

TL;DR: Vol. 1's soundtrack is superior, but Vol. 2 takes us deeper into the characters. Highly recommended!

---

This post brought to you by first-time spring allergies! wtf.

Popular posts from this blog

Paint Nite!

Last night I joined the "Oops" Paint Nite event hosted by the Club Cafe in Back Bay. About 12+ people came to relax and have two artists guide them through painting this original work:


The point was not to slavishly duplicate "Oops" -- we were instructed to make it our own, to relax, and not to utter the words, "Mine sucks," "Can you do this for me?" or "I thought this was paint-by-numbers!"

Speaking of dashed hopes, I had assumed that wine was included. I had done something like this before, only it was in the morning and we all got mimosas. Not so here! While the artists were setting up, I schlepped over to the bar and was rewarded with a generous pour of Cabernet. Now I was ready.

The setup: Everyone got a 16" x 20" canvas, three paint brushes, and a palette (a paper plate) with red, yellow, blue, and white paint. One artist (Brian) had the microphone and would paint with us, while the other was the assistant (Kory) who wo…

Toddler Sleep Training: Success?

As previously reported, Junior slept poorly as a baby. He would wake up, wail at the top of his lungs, and take a long time to be soothed back to sleep.


His sleep problem persisted as a toddler. He never slept through the night; he would wake up in his room, howl for one of us, and we would have to stay in there with him until he fell back asleep. Some nights, this cycle would repeat itself two or three times.

Hubby was always adamant that Junior sleep in his own room, while I leaned more towards cuddling. However, Junior tended to kick, so I agreed that his being in his room was best for everybody. But how do we resolve his night wakings so we didn't run back and forth every goddamn night, pardon my French?

After much internet research, I found Dr. Craig Canapari’s website. He claimed that Junior suffered from inappropriate sleep onset association, meaning he associated going to sleep with having one of us in the room. Indeed, as part of his bedtime routine, both Hubby and I tak…

An International Women's Day Miracle!

Truly, International Women's Day is a special day. No, not because multitudes are out there rallying for our rights and giving voice to the powerless. It is because I won a gift card from a company raffle!


Let me explain why this counts as a minor miracle. You see, I never win anything. I answer every damned survey sent my way, participate in all the raffles, buy lottery tickets -- to no avail. This particular raffle occurred monthly, and I had been faithfully entering my name every month for two years, with no results. Finally, last month, I declared: "No more!" and unsubscribed from the mailing list -- but not before entering one final time, because why not.

Hah!

There's also some déjà vu at play here. You see, four years ago, I won a gift card from a company raffle. The one fracking time I won anything! I was elated! Shortly thereafter, also on International Women's Day, I was laid off from my job.

Sooooo...since the day's almost over, I guess I'm not…