Skip to main content

Movie Review: The Heat (2013)

The Heat is hilarious. Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy do an excellent job of combining their comedic talents for this buddy-cop flick. The writing is a little loose, but this is really about two women who've had to be tough to get ahead, and how they learn to work together. It brings tears to my eyes. Tears of laughter, I mean.

Bullock plays FBI agent Ashburn, a know-it-all unpopular with her colleagues. Still, she's competent enough that her boss assigns her to a case in Boston to see if she's qualified for a promotion. That's where she collides with Mullins, a Boston cop who has strong opinions and unorthodox policing methods. Their journey towards bonding is rough, but eventually they like each other enough to go out for (a ton of) drinks. Then they have a falling-out, make up, and go after the baddies. Everything goes according to buddy-cop formula, and boy, is it fun.

McCarthy stands out with her perfect delivery and what sound like ad-libbed lines, and Bullock is once again in fine comedic form. "Will you shut the door please?" Ashburn asks Mullins in the interrogation room. "I'll shut the door," Mullins replies. "You lay down here and put your head in the door. And I'll slam it about one hundred fifty-seven thousand times." Multiply that exchange by a hundred, and you've got the gist of the script. Plus, neither actress is shy about doing physical comedy -- their butts are in the air, they're flailing, they scrabble across the ground, you name it.

The characters aren't deep, but then again, they're not meant to be incisive portrayals of the human condition. Their personalities are played for gags, like whenever the subject of Ashburn's cat comes up, or when men stop Mullins in the street and ask her why they haven't heard back from her. The second time that happens, McCarthy's character eviscerates the standard guy lines -- "It's not you, it's me;" and "I'm looking for myself. I can't be part of a two until I'm a good one;" plus her self-proclaimed favorite: "You make me want to be a better woman." All delivered with a face that trumpets full awareness of the high bullshit content.

There's a lot going on this film. It's basically a bunch of skits strung together with the search for the drug dealer as scaffolding. Overall, it works. Once it really gets going with the laughs, The Heat is unrelenting. It was originally slated for a late spring release, but the studio liked it so much that they moved it to the summer slot. Sweet move. It's number two at the box office right now, and I hope it keeps selling tickets. That way, we might achieve my dream: a movie starring Melissa McCarthy and Rebel Wilson. Eeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Now, having read this review, go forth and do what you do. 

Popular posts from this blog

Paint Nite!

Last night I joined the "Oops" Paint Nite event hosted by the Club Cafe in Back Bay. About 12+ people came to relax and have two artists guide them through painting this original work:


The point was not to slavishly duplicate "Oops" -- we were instructed to make it our own, to relax, and not to utter the words, "Mine sucks," "Can you do this for me?" or "I thought this was paint-by-numbers!"

Speaking of dashed hopes, I had assumed that wine was included. I had done something like this before, only it was in the morning and we all got mimosas. Not so here! While the artists were setting up, I schlepped over to the bar and was rewarded with a generous pour of Cabernet. Now I was ready.

The setup: Everyone got a 16" x 20" canvas, three paint brushes, and a palette (a paper plate) with red, yellow, blue, and white paint. One artist (Brian) had the microphone and would paint with us, while the other was the assistant (Kory) who wo…

An International Women's Day Miracle!

Truly, International Women's Day is a special day. No, not because multitudes are out there rallying for our rights and giving voice to the powerless. It is because I won a gift card from a company raffle!


Let me explain why this counts as a minor miracle. You see, I never win anything. I answer every damned survey sent my way, participate in all the raffles, buy lottery tickets -- to no avail. This particular raffle occurred monthly, and I had been faithfully entering my name every month for two years, with no results. Finally, last month, I declared: "No more!" and unsubscribed from the mailing list -- but not before entering one final time, because why not.

Hah!

There's also some déjà vu at play here. You see, four years ago, I won a gift card from a company raffle. The one fracking time I won anything! I was elated! Shortly thereafter, also on International Women's Day, I was laid off from my job.

Sooooo...since the day's almost over, I guess I'm not…

Get Out (2017)

Get Out has a charismatic lead, a terrific soundtrack, and damn good cinematography. While it’s described as horror/comedy, it’s more disturbing/cringe-y than scary, and I mean that in a good way. This is an entertaining movie that’s also pretty effective as social commentary.

The film stars Daniel Kaluuya as Chris, a photographer who’s about to spend the weekend at his girlfriend Rose’s (Allison Williams) parent’s house. Naturally, it’s in a secluded spot in the woods. When they get there, the awkwardness that might be expected from a first-time meeting gives way to a series of bizarre behaviors and interactions. While Chris initially takes it all in stride, it eventually becomes clear that there’s something sinister going on behind the scenes.

The acting and dialogue are highlights of the film, as is the camera work. In particular, Kaluuya’s eyebrows and head tilts are so expressive that the audience knows what’s going on in his head even as he politely brushes off eccentricities. A…