Skip to main content

Game Review: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

Falling Skyward: Link's Diary

Background: Now 10+ glorious hours into Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword on the Wii. Did I mention it is glorious? Zelda games have always been the perfect blend of puzzle-solving, action, and random characters.

Inspired by The Very Secret Diaries.

Magic elf love saves lives.
Day One – Surface / Sealed Temple
Zelda's sailcloth allowed me to land safely after plummeting several thousand feet from the sky. Her love is magical.

This place is weird. What’s with these holes in the ground gushing out hot air?

Day Two – Faron Woods
Figured out that those were air vents that shoot me up to higher ground via sailcloth.

Old lady with extremely pointy hat told me to go into Faron Woods. Robot fairy from the future keeps popping out of sword to talk to me like I’m retarded. Miss Midna.

Day Three – Skyloft
Have rescued all the kiwis or whatever they are in forest. Got a slingshot from dungeon! Now can ring bell on flying novelty shop back here in Skyloft.

Perhaps can squeeze in some time with therapist to deal with issues resulting from tall, thin, and pale villain licking my cheek. Don’t understand why keep getting mistaken for boyishly handsome woman.

It can't be the sideburns.

Day Four – Eldin Volcano
Wooden shield burst into flames while running around in volcano. Very sad. Bright side: now have enough Rupees to buy iron shield. Shopkeeper keeps saying iron shield can’t protect against electricity. Why would he say that?

Day Five – Lanayru Desert
WHY IS EVERY MONSTER HERE ELECTRIC

Day Six – Temple of Time
Very sad but hopeful. Caught up with Zelda but rude anorexic woman shoved her through time gate after she gave me her goddess harp. Always fancied self with saxophone, but harp much more portable. Zelda thinks of everything.

Got slightly nervous as tall, thin, pale, and creepy burst in again, but he refrained from sexual harassment this time as claimed to be too busy. Says he is chasing Zelda but obviously wants me. Must ask therapist how to gently discourage stalker who can teleport.

Day Seven – Sealed Temple
Just defeated giant black pineapple with shark teeth and stubby legs. Old pointy-hatted woman says my sword needs to be stronger. But she says my body is perfectly fit. Slightly disturbed by her thorough pat-down, especially in my pants area, but assured that all heroes of destiny must be tested thus.

Day Eight – Skyloft (sidequests)
Have made friends with fabulously gay version of monster from Diablo. Wants me to collect “gratitude crystals” so he can turn human. First wanted five, now he wants 30. Hoor.

Getting very good at catching bugs. Sure my collection will come in handy someday, when I need to upgrade my underwear or something. Perhaps should get underwear first, as pants starting to chafe.

Day Nine – Skyloft
Supposed to fix some windmill. Have no idea what to do. Will go catch more bugs.

Popular posts from this blog

Paint Nite!

Last night I joined the "Oops" Paint Nite event hosted by the Club Cafe in Back Bay. About 12+ people came to relax and have two artists guide them through painting this original work:


The point was not to slavishly duplicate "Oops" -- we were instructed to make it our own, to relax, and not to utter the words, "Mine sucks," "Can you do this for me?" or "I thought this was paint-by-numbers!"

Speaking of dashed hopes, I had assumed that wine was included. I had done something like this before, only it was in the morning and we all got mimosas. Not so here! While the artists were setting up, I schlepped over to the bar and was rewarded with a generous pour of Cabernet. Now I was ready.

The setup: Everyone got a 16" x 20" canvas, three paint brushes, and a palette (a paper plate) with red, yellow, blue, and white paint. One artist (Brian) had the microphone and would paint with us, while the other was the assistant (Kory) who wo…

An International Women's Day Miracle!

Truly, International Women's Day is a special day. No, not because multitudes are out there rallying for our rights and giving voice to the powerless. It is because I won a gift card from a company raffle!


Let me explain why this counts as a minor miracle. You see, I never win anything. I answer every damned survey sent my way, participate in all the raffles, buy lottery tickets -- to no avail. This particular raffle occurred monthly, and I had been faithfully entering my name every month for two years, with no results. Finally, last month, I declared: "No more!" and unsubscribed from the mailing list -- but not before entering one final time, because why not.

Hah!

There's also some déjà vu at play here. You see, four years ago, I won a gift card from a company raffle. The one fracking time I won anything! I was elated! Shortly thereafter, also on International Women's Day, I was laid off from my job.

Sooooo...since the day's almost over, I guess I'm not…

Get Out (2017)

Get Out has a charismatic lead, a terrific soundtrack, and damn good cinematography. While it’s described as horror/comedy, it’s more disturbing/cringe-y than scary, and I mean that in a good way. This is an entertaining movie that’s also pretty effective as social commentary.

The film stars Daniel Kaluuya as Chris, a photographer who’s about to spend the weekend at his girlfriend Rose’s (Allison Williams) parent’s house. Naturally, it’s in a secluded spot in the woods. When they get there, the awkwardness that might be expected from a first-time meeting gives way to a series of bizarre behaviors and interactions. While Chris initially takes it all in stride, it eventually becomes clear that there’s something sinister going on behind the scenes.

The acting and dialogue are highlights of the film, as is the camera work. In particular, Kaluuya’s eyebrows and head tilts are so expressive that the audience knows what’s going on in his head even as he politely brushes off eccentricities. A…