Monday, November 28, 2011

Movie Review: Hugo (2011)

Hugo is amazing. I went in there expecting it to be all about the boy (the eponymous Hugo Cabret) but actually 'twas about movies! Specifically, old movies, the magic of making movies, movies as expressions of human dreams, and other film-centered themes. I also thought that Hugo was the name of the automaton who does a slo-mo flying thing in the trailers, but actually it's just a MacGuffin. Read about MacGuffins here. I repeat: Hugo is the boy, not the machine.

The lead, Asphalt Butterface (real name: Asa Butterfield) did a good job with the role, although I do suggest a drinking game called, "How many times does Hugo flare his nostrils?" when you have the movie on DVD or streaming. Seriously, I know you're compensating for sparse eyebrows, kid, but you could be the Jack Nicholson of nostrils if you're not careful. Speaking of, I had to stop myself from yelling, "She's a vampire!" whenever Chloe Moretz's character skipped closer to Hugo, and you should see Let Me In if you don't know what I'm talking about, because adolescent vampires are the new thing, dontcherknow.

Other things of note: the movie soundtrack is practically its own character--it's alive and vibrant and perfectly in sync with on screen events. I'm in love with it. The 3D experience is excellent, too. And, you can amuse yourself by naming the Harry Potter cast members. And no, Christopher Lee is not a Harry Potter cast member; he is Saruman from Lord of the Rings. Get your epic fantasies right, geez.

Bottom line: Hugo gets my two thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment