Thursday, May 3, 2018

Confirmed: Second Babies Pop Out Faster

'Twas half past midnight in the Fragrant household when I heaved myself out of bed due to painful contractions. It was now several days past Juniorette's due date, but I'd been Braxton Hicks-ing for the past month, and so I marched up and down the hallway in case this just was a particularly painful episode of false labor. It wasn't! Soon my water broke, and the whole family piled into the car and headed for the hospital.

When I was admitted at 2am, I was 5cm dilated and 80% effaced. (For the uninitiated, baby can't come out until mom is 10cm and 100%.) I asked for something to take the edge off. Hubby was amused, as I'd sworn to give birth naturally this time.

Joke's on him, though, because Juniorette was raring to come out, do not pass go, do not have time for pain medication! The nurses were just finishing setting up my IV drip when the final stage of labor began, and the NP confirmed that I'd gone to 9cm in less than an hour. Go time!!!

I'll spare you the grisly details, dear reader, but know that incredible amounts of pain and bodily fluids were involved in the effort to bring our baby girl out into this crazy, beautiful world. I screamed, I bellowed, I grabbed Hubby's head like I was going to twist it off. And then:

EEEEEEE!!!

So, while Junior came out after 11 hours of labor and 2 hours of pushing, Juniorette joined us after 2.5 hours of labor and 10 minutes of bearing down. It's true: the second pickle is easier to get out of the jar!

And then came the terrible afterbirth, which to me was more of an ordeal than the actual delivery. I had to go to the OR due to postpartum hemorrhage, and at one point I was like, "Could I please just bleed to death?"

Anyway, soon enough I was reunited with my little darling, and all was well. It'll be some time before I can be Scarlett Johansson's body double again, but for now, I have my two babies. *gestures to uterus* And this factory closes at two.

TL; DR: I gave birth to my second baby way faster than my first.

---

This post brought to you by Clear Flour Bakery! Gosh, their bread is delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment