Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cover Letter Template

Many fields require the ability to string together words and transform them into coherent sentences. As such, a cover letter becomes important when venturing into the delightful world of the job search. A well-written cover not only introduces your magnetic personality, but also systematically lists your stunning competencies and awe-inspiring accomplishments.

Moved by the spirit of generosity, I, a new hire starting next week, share with you here the cover letter template that got me eleven (11) interviews in two (2) months. Yes, it works, and it helps you lose weight! I hope we're still talking about the same thing.

First, disclaimers:
  1. This is a template, and must be adjusted according to the description of each desired job.
  2. I offer it for free, but you can go ahead and buy me a drink or food item as thanks.
Next, suggestions:
  1. For maximum WIN, create a separate "Skills List" document so you have your brilliant talents handy for copying and pasting into the blank spaces in the template.
  2. Identify the top two or three skills required by your target job, and put those into the template.
  3. Only include the "Customer Service" bit if the job actually seems to require it. 
Without further ado:

A STUNNINGLY EFFECTIVE COVER LETTER TEMPLATE 
By Fragrant Elephant, Writer Extraordinaire and Vanquisher of Leftovers

***

[DATE]

Dear Hiring Director:

I am writing to apply for the [JOB TITLE] position advertised on [WEBSITE/JOB BOARD]. My relevant skills and experience for the posted position include:

[SKILL 1] -- As [CURRENT/MOST RECENT TITLE] for a [TYPE OF COMPANY], I have [#] years experience with [A THING YOU DO/DID THAT RELATES TO SKILL 1]. [LOTS OF DETAILS HERE, E.G. "I WENT INTO LABOR FOR SIXTEEN HOURS TO ENSURE DELIVERY OF MY FIRSTBORN, ETC."].

[SKILL 2] -- I also spent [#] years doing [A THING YOU DO/DID THAT RELATES TO SKILL 2]. [DETAILS HERE, E.G. "I CREATED A PROGRAM USING FORTRAN THAT ACCURATELY PREDICTED THE NUMBER OF TIMES MY CAT WOULD VOMIT ON ANY GIVEN DAY."].

[SKILL 3] -- Finally, I have extensive training in [SKILL 3]. In one instance, [DETAILS HERE, E.G. "I LEVERAGED CORPORATE SYNERGY TO IDENTIFY DEVELOPMENT MARKERS AND ACHIEVE ANNUAL TARGETS."]. 

Customer Service
—All of my previous positions taught me to work with efficiency, a collaborative spirit, and a positive attitude under high pressure and tight deadlines. I have worked with people from all over the world, and have consistently found ways to reach consensus as we worked toward our goals. I also learned that strict attention to detail and prompt follow up are keys to success, especially with [WHATEVER THIS JOB DEALS WITH MOST].

My previous and current positions have required discretion, professionalism, flexibility, efficiency, and the ability to work with various stakeholders. I learn new things quickly, especially if they are technology-related. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss how my skills and experience might be a match for the [JOB TITLE] position.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Anastasia Beaverhausen
anastasia@mybeaver.com
+81 842-2679

***

There you have it. May the Force guide you toward your new role as a cog in the machine.

In closing, I offer this job search-related anecdote -- Whilst wrestling with an iPhone case designed to withstand heavy impact, and, apparently, morons like myself, I realized that one of the two pieces I was trying to mash together was, in fact, upside down. I flipped it over, aligned it correctly, and it clicked into place.

The lesson: If it's a match, it will slide smoothly into place.

That's what she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment